Teenagers in middle adolescence are making big progress both physically and mentally. Most of them start to concern about their body size, shape, and weight. Especially some girls are on strictly diet in order to be slim, which lead to eating disorder. During this phase of development, each teenager is developing his or her unique personality and opinion, although peer relationship still does matter for him or her. Middle adolescence is also an important time for the teenagers to prepare for independence and responsibility. Many teenagers start working part time, and are going to leave home soon after high school.
Emotional and social
- Less time spent with family and more time spent with friends
- More independence from parents
- Less conflict with parents
- More intimate relationship with friends
- More interest in the opposite sex
- More capable for caring others
- More capable for expressing himself or herself
- More studying and working habits
- More capable for thinking
- Greater ability on identifying right and wrong
- Stronger ability to solve problems
- More planning and preparation for future
To learn more parenting skills, please refer to great parenting books.