Many games are usually fun, informative and challenging. However, if kids play these games excessively can become addicting, affecting their health, homework and taking away from their daily activities. How to help kids take advantage of games while avoiding game addition? Banning materials is definitely not the answer.
We suggest the following ways to help kids enjoy the pros while avoiding the cons.
- Set rules on gaming, the rule should cover,
- Have to complete homework and other study tasks first
- Follow time limits on gaming
- Take breaks while gaming
- Play those games reviewed by parents
- Talk any new games, which they want to play with parents first
- Chose those games, which help kids improve creativity, analyzing skills and problem-solving skills
- Encourage kids to play educational games
- Play good games together with kids to communicate with them better once a while
- Keep a close eye on whether the kids following the rules
- Teach the kids about prioritizing and time management by the gaming rule
- Discuss ethical and moral issues by the contents of the violent games
- Teach the kids about communicating and adapting to a growing multicultural society, by their playing with online multiplayer games
- Teach the kids internet safety by online virtual gaming world
What is important is to find good games tailoring different kids’ ages, set appropriate rules, and monitor carefully the kids when they play with the games, because what they watch and what they play does affect them. Parental involvement is always a must.