We live in a global society. The United States is a very typical example of a country with multiple cultures, since there are a lot of immigrants from all over the world bringing here various culture and values.
There are common values among the world; however, there are some fundamental differences as well. We suggest parents advise their kids using the following ways to handle culture conflicts in an effective way.
- Respect different cultures, which is crucial for resolving culture conflict
- Be open and willing to accept other people from different cultures, make friends with them
- Find common ground, use common values
- Know your values and be aware of the differences with other values
- Be open to possible alternative ways to implement your values
- Put yourself in others’ shoes, and try to understand them
- Try to understand a culture from a big picture, do not blame all because of one