Reading is a critical skill for success in school and in life. Let’s create an easy to learn environment with high quality children’s age appropriate books, and help our children build a good reading habit!
Reading Comprehension for Eighth Graders (Focus on Informational Materials)
Students read and understand grade-level-appropriate material. They describe and connect the essential ideas, arguments, and perspectives of the text by using their knowledge of text structure, organization, and purpose. The selections in Recommended Literature, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve illustrate the quality and complexity of the materials to be read by students. In addition, students read one million words annually
on their own, including a good representation of narrative and expository text (e.g., classic and contemporary literature, magazines, newspapers, online information).
Structural Features of Informational Materials
1. Compare and contrast the features and elements of consumer materials to gain meaning from documents (e.g., warranties, contracts, product information, instruction manuals).
2. Analyze text that uses proposition and support patterns.
Comprehension and Analysis of Grade-Level-Appropriate Text
3. Find similarities and differences between texts in the treatment, scope, or organization of ideas.
4. Compare the original text to a summary to determine whether the summary accurately captures the main ideas, includes critical details, and conveys the underlying meaning.
5. Understand and explain the use of a complex mechanical device by following technical directions.
6. Use information from a variety of consumer, workplace, and public documents to explain a situation or decision and to solve a problem.
7. Evaluate the unity, coherence, logic, internal consistency, and structural patterns of text.
Books for Eighth Graders
- TEACHER’S FUNERAL
- LAST BOOK IN THE UNIVERSE
- PERILOUS GARD
- RUBY IN THE SMOKE
- ESPERANZA RISING
- SHABANU: DAUGHTER OF THE WIND
- AMULET OF SAMARKAND
- THIRTEEN STORIES THAT CAPTURE THE AGONY & ECSTASY OF BEING THIRTEEN
- SURVIVING THE APPLEWHITES
- STUCK IN NEUTRAL
- MONTMORENCY: THIEF, LIAR, GENTLEMAN?
- MIRACLE’S BOYS
After we have done some research, we recommend the following books for eighth graders by Amazon’s review rankings.