Before you can choose the right necklace for you, you need to know how to choose the right necklace length. First, let’s understand Necklace Lengths or Necklace Sizes.
Necklaces traditionally have seven lengths. Depending on the necklace’s length, the necklace will hang to a different part of your body. Therefore, you will have different looking.
- 10- to 13-inch necklaces: They are short necklaces, such as Collar necklaces, wrap close around the neck and measure 10 to 13 inches long. Collar necklaces are a must-have when wearing V-necks, boat necks, and off-the-shoulder fashions.
- 16- to 18-inch necklaces: Ther are some chains, lockets, strands, and chokers measure between 16 and 18 inches long. They stay close to the neck. Attached pendants lie above the breastbone. Both classic and versatile, a 14-16 inch choker falls perfectly around the base of the neck. A simple choker necklace matches any outfit and just about any neckline.
- 17- to 20-inch necklaces: They are chains, strands, and lockets, as well as some longer chokers measure between 17 and 20 inches long, meet at top of breastbone, and can attach pendants. Princess Necklaces (17-19 inches) are best suited for crew and high necklines, falling just below the throat. Typically 17-19 inches long, you can wear the princess length as a contrast to low, plunging necklines. Add a pendant for a bold, eye-catching look.
- 20- to 24-inch necklaces: They are chains measuring 20 to 24 inches long meet at the top of the bust line. Some strands, chokers, and pendant necklaces also come in these lengths. For example, Matinee Necklaces (20-24 inches) are longer than the princess necklaces are the right choice for casual or business dress.
- 28- to 34-inch necklaces: They are relatively long, 28 to 34-inch necklaces hang at or below the bust line or are worn as a doubled strand. A Opera Necklace(28-34 inches) is the longest of all lengths. Wear it as a single or double strand. Perfect for high or crew necklines, its versatility allows the opera necklace to transform from day to evening wear with elegant ease.
- Necklaces 40 inches and longer: Often worn doubled or tripled, necklaces measuring more than 40 inches long can also hang at, or below, the navel. For example, a Rope Necklace (over 45 inches) measuring at least 45 inches in length, is a must-have accessory. Infinitely elegant and classic, this necklace dresses up any outfit night or day. Often, hidden clasps placed in strategic locations allow this necklace to be transformed into multi-strand necklace and bracelet combinations.
- Necklaces 48 inches and longer: They are often used for long strands, necklaces measuring more than 48 inches long usually wrap or knot around the neck without a clasp. More styles, more charming.