Reading is a critical skill for success in school and in life. Let’s create an easy to learn environment with high quality children’s age appropriate books, and help our children build a good reading habit!
Reading Comprehension for Seventh Graders(Focus on Informational Materials)
Students read and understand grade-level-appropriate material. They describe and connect the essential ideas, arguments, and perspectives of the text by using their knowledge of text structure, organization, and purpose. The selections in Recommended Literature, Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve illustrate the quality and complexity of the materials to be read by students. In addition, by grade eight, students read one million
words annually on their own, including a good representation of grade-level-appropriate narrative and expository text (e.g., classic and contemporary literature, magazines, newspapers, online information).
In grade seven, students make substantial progress toward this goal.
Structural Features of Informational Materials
1. Understand and analyze the differences in structure and purpose between various categories of informational materials (e.g., textbooks, newspapers, instructional manuals, signs).
2. Locate information by using a variety of consumer, workplace, and public documents.
3. Analyze text that uses the cause-and-effect organizational pattern.
Comprehension and Analysis of Grade-Level-Appropriate Text
4. Identify and trace the development of an author’s argument, point of view, or perspective in text.
5. Understand and explain the use of a simple mechanical device by following technical directions.
6. Assess the adequacy, accuracy, and appropriateness of the author’s evidence to support claims and assertions, noting instances of bias and stereotyping.
Books for Seventh Graders
- FEVER, 1793
- FOLK KEEPER
- THINGS NOT SEEN
- ABSOLUTELY NORMAL CHAOS
- BACK OF BEYOND
- SEA OF TROLLS
- AND SOMETIMES WHY
- FIRST CROSSING
- SHADOW SPINNER
- CANNING SEASON
- SOLDIER BOYS
- STAR OF KAZAN
- ALICE, I THINK
- GOOSE CHASE
- SILENT TO THE BONE
After we have done some research, we recommend the following books for seventh graders by Amazon’s review rankings.